About Me

My photo
Saint Joseph, MO, United States
I'm a stay at home Mom of two children and I have the unique privilege of being able to homeschool both of them. I am a stepmother to two older daughters one who is going to college. I enjoy shopping, baking, cooking, cleaning, organizing, running, clowning, making soap, playing piano and lately painting with ASCP paint! I am learning to enjoy the little things in life and make the most of it...clinging to my Savior through the tears that life brings and enjoying his GRACE He gives us every day! Thanks for stopping by!

Blog Archive

Friday, February 18, 2011

Homeschooling Preschool

The more I homeschool the more I realize that its even better than I thought! I get to cater my program to my child. Even though homeschooling CAN get expensive there are several FREE programs and downloads that are absolutely amazing! I have found that even with the mistake in curriculum that I bought this year...YIKES! I have never spent as much as I did when I sent Trey to preschool.

I am NOT a crafty person...I like things fast and easy....I don't mind mess in fact if you saw my dining room right now as I'm posting this you would say...."Go CLEAN that up!" BUT I'm chillin out lately and letting my home be a bit more relaxed than it used to be....trust me as soon as I'm done with this the vacuum etc will be out tidying up for the evening change. SO...back to crafts! I found through The Old Schoolhouse magazine some great resources which I'm more than thrilled about. I'm getting ready to try out some Preschool crafts that sends you all the crafts that you need with the ideas and materials for a low fee each month with a christian worldview. The site is called shirleysprepackagedcrafts.com. I haven't tried this but am excited to get these soon and will share my thoughts when I do!

Now today I tried two different recipes that were in the magazine. The first one was

Homemade Playdoh

1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 tablesppon oil
1/2 tsp cream of tatar
A few drops of food coloring to get the colors.shades you want

Mix all but the last ingredient in a small saucepan. Cook over very low heat until it turns into a dough. Knead the dough on a floured surface until cool enough for kids to touch. Separate the dough into as many colors as you want to make. Put just a few drops of coloring in each ball, and knead until evenly mixed. STore in ziplock bags or plastic containers and it will keep in fridge for months.

I personally found that this was the BEST one I've used. It makes just one normal jar of playdoh but it was so nice and warm and Ellie loved playing with it. She chose pink of course!


Now this next one kept my Ellie occupied for the time I needed to do Trey's spelling and his grammar...which any of you that know Ellianna know that that is quite a amazing feat!

The Easiest Homemade finger Paint---I personally found this very thick and am sure that if I played around with it I would find a texture I liked better but Ellianna loved it. It does stain carpet so I had to put towels down on my rugs....it came out with spot shot but be warned....it is food coloring!

2 cups white flour
2 cups cold water
food coloring

put water in large bowl. Slowly add the flour, Ellianna enjoyed mixing it...then deciding which colors she wanted. This makes a TON so she had enough for four different colors and probably could have made five or six. She loved putting her hands all over it and had a blast. It's very thick but she enjoyed herself and it was very cheap to make and I def thought it was worth the time and effort! We also enjoyed finding out what happens when you mix pink and blue and yellow and blue...etc lots of lessons that aren't planned on but you get to "mix in"!




Whether or not you homeschool these ideas are awesome to do with your preschooler! Have a great day! Hope your having great weather today! We have some of the windows open hoping to chase the "germs" away!

No comments:

Post a Comment