About Me

My photo
Saint Joseph, MO, United States
I'm a stay at home Mom of two children and I have the unique privilege of being able to homeschool both of them. I am a stepmother to two older daughters one who is going to college. I enjoy shopping, baking, cooking, cleaning, organizing, running, clowning, making soap, playing piano and lately painting with ASCP paint! I am learning to enjoy the little things in life and make the most of it...clinging to my Savior through the tears that life brings and enjoying his GRACE He gives us every day! Thanks for stopping by!

Friday, July 8, 2011

Handsoap

I orginally got this idea from moneysavingmom.com but my results were different from hers I'm sad to say.

First of all I used Dove soap because that is what I use to do my homemade laundry soap and all that left for me to buy was glycerin which was around $2 and a container to store it in which was around $5.

So, my first failure was:

Dove soap...I believe just using a regular bath soap is not going to work.

Here is the original recipe

1. Grate bar of soap using one cup of soap flakes
2. 10 cups of water
3. 1 tbsp of glycerin
4. combine in large pot put on medium heat and stir. It literally took a minute for this to melt.
5. Then, allow to cool completely
6. Put in jars and store excess in container

So here is how it went with the Dove Soap




I made this last night and it was soooo runny. Smells fabulous but is major runny...reminds me of my childhood and I hated that handsoap!

Soooo....I tried a finer soap. I don't know what makes we as women so attached to our pretty bars of soap. This bar of soap I bought at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island and I kid you not it is as old as my oldest child! He is 11 by the way! Was I ever going to use this soap? NOOOOO! Yes, same original container, five moves, two children and yes....the soap came with me...seriously WHY?????

So, I did the same recipe and I was excited even the soap flakes looked better!


I started this at 8 and was done by 8:15. I let it cool but ALAS! SAME result! I was sooo bummed!

So, I added another tbsp of glycerin and let it sit for another two hours and I'm thrilled to say it turned out GORGEOUS darling!





This is the container that I store it in. I have the Dove handsoap sitting with another tbsp of glycerin (as we speak, or write...)I'm trying to revive it. If I can't then I will just use it for a body wash for E since she has very sensitive skin!

So, I believe you MUST use a very high grade soap to get this to turn out unless you don't mind watery....I personally HATE watery. I know that TJ Maxx has gorgeous Caswell Masey soaps on sale all the time and I wonder how Bath and Body's soaps would do? (do they even sell those anymore)?

Anyway, the glycerin was maybe $2, the soap I already had and I just got a container to hold the excess and I can't get over how much this made!

Have a great day and would LOVE to hear how it works out for you all!

Thanks!







S

No comments:

Post a Comment