About Me

My photo
Saint Joseph, MO, United States
I'm a stay at home Mom of two children and I have the unique privilege of being able to homeschool both of them. I am a stepmother to two older daughters one who is going to college. I enjoy shopping, baking, cooking, cleaning, organizing, running, clowning, making soap, playing piano and lately painting with ASCP paint! I am learning to enjoy the little things in life and make the most of it...clinging to my Savior through the tears that life brings and enjoying his GRACE He gives us every day! Thanks for stopping by!

Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Cookies

There are women who make AMAZING cookies...that have friends over and put out about 20 dozen of the most amazing cookies...there are also women who go to the store...buy the refrigerated dough with Christmas trees on them...and put them in the oven....I am in BETWEEN these two kinds of women.  While I'm not opposed to buying the refrigerated dough with the trees on them (they have been in my grocery cart this year) I do feel like a bit of a cheater with doing that. 

I have a four year old that enjoys baking...my 12 yr old boy enjoys eating them...but decorating...he's past that...makes me sad.  So, I get on the internet and find amazing cookie ideas...and try to be that AMAZING woman with AMAZING cookies....and each year....we get a bit better???

A couple of years ago I asked my Mom if I could have the star cookie cutter that I remember using throughout my childhood and teen years to make cookies with my sister...she doesn't make cookies ever so parting with it was not difficult for her...and I love it...can't find any like it anymore.

The first thing my E and I did was make the BASIC sugar cookie...and because I have a ton going on right now...I bought...GASP...the HUGE container from SAm's of cookie dough...yes...I did...there ya go!  However, I did make the icing!


My E likes pink...and what would Christmas be...without pink????
Icing:
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cups shortening
5 tb milk
1 tsp vanilla
Food coloring

I just put all ingredients in my kitchenaid mixer and went to town...oh how I love that thing!

Next up is my melting snowman cooking...these are time consuming...but soo stinkin cute!

First you make the cookies as you normally would.  Then I made some royal icing.

Royal Icing
4 egg whites
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp lemon extract

Put all ingredients in mixer...walk away....come back to beauty....did I mention how much I love that mixer???

You drizzle the icing on the cookie...you can be sloppy...you should be sloppy...they are melting:)

Next up you get a microwave safe plate....spray Pam on it...put marshmellows on it and put in microwave for 15 seconds....spray Pam on your hands...and then place on the cookie.  The Pam prevents the fluffy stuff from sticking to your fingers!


Then decorate how you like!  Some people spend hours....I don't have hours...so I use a gel icing and they turn out pretty cute....they are eaten quickly and people comment that they are adorable...if they are to pretty people won't want to eat them and how sad to not eat a cookie eh??

Have a very Merry Christmas!

If you look closely you can see where my E dipped her finger into the icing when I wasn't looking! Oh dear!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment