About Me

My photo
Saint Joseph, MO, United States
I'm a stay at home Mom of two children and I have the unique privilege of being able to homeschool both of them. I am a stepmother to two older daughters one who is going to college. I enjoy shopping, baking, cooking, cleaning, organizing, running, clowning, making soap, playing piano and lately painting with ASCP paint! I am learning to enjoy the little things in life and make the most of it...clinging to my Savior through the tears that life brings and enjoying his GRACE He gives us every day! Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Homemade Chocolate Cake

Valentines Day found me scampering for a dessert that my E could enjoy.  She is allergic to corn...when she eats corn, she gets sick, has asthma difficulties, fevers, fever blisters...you get it....BAD things happen!  So, every single store bought cake mix I had on hand for Valentines Day had corn in it. Even marshmellow has corn in it...even a lot of chocolate chips have corn in them...so in my desperation...I caved...I went to a very expensive cupcake shop that makes her cupcakes from scratch....I won't tell you how much I paid for a dozen...but I will NEVER do it again...granted...they were good...but not sure they were THAT good if you know what I mean sister!

So, I found this recipe from my husband's family and I'm sorry to say that I don't have a better picture but the entire thing has been eaten so quickly that its not pretty anymore!So, here goes:

Deep Dark Chocolate Cake

1 3/4 cup flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup boiling water

Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla.  Beat 2 minutes at medium speed.  Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).  Pour into greased and floured 13x9 pan.  Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tests done.  Cool

I found this recipe online for frosting...BUT being the amazing baker that I am (cough, cough) I didn't have enough powdered sugar...so...I ....used crisco...yes I did and it still turned out DIVINE!

1 cup butter softened
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1-2 tbl milk
1 tsp vanilla

I just put this in my kitchenaid and let it do its beautiful magic and it whipped up delicious marvelous frosting!

Sorry for the pic....but it is DIVINE....ENJOY!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment