About Me

My photo
Saint Joseph, MO, United States
I'm a stay at home Mom of two children and I have the unique privilege of being able to homeschool both of them. I am a stepmother to two older daughters one who is going to college. I enjoy shopping, baking, cooking, cleaning, organizing, running, clowning, making soap, playing piano and lately painting with ASCP paint! I am learning to enjoy the little things in life and make the most of it...clinging to my Savior through the tears that life brings and enjoying his GRACE He gives us every day! Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, April 23, 2012

A Revision of Detergent

I have been making my own detergent for over a year.  We have a HE front loader and dryer and I have a 4 yr old daughter, 12 yr old son and two teenage stepdaughters, a husband and myself.  We are not avid outdoor people but we do run and my son is a boyscout...plus my daughter LOVES dirt!

In the beginning I LOVED the liquid homemade detergent I made...and now and for awhile now...I have been in love with the powder detergent...let me tell you why.  First of all, in my opinion it cleans better, is easier to make, is easier to store and is easier to use.  I use one to two tbsp of powder and it lasts for at least two months perhaps even three.

Here is my recipe:

1 Bar of Fels Naptha
1 Bar of Dove Soap ....I use neither of these now as I make my own soap.  I now use two bars of my lavender soap....but this is what I used previously before I started making soap.
1/2 cup of Oxy Clean
1 cup of Tide or whatever commercial detergent you favor
2 cups of Borax
2 cups of washing Soda

We have hard water and I can't imagine not using all these ingredients!

Grate two bars of soap and then put in food processor with the powders.

Grated Soap
All ready in a lovely container
Use one to two tbsp and enjoy your wonderfully fresh and CHEAP detergent!

Have a GREAT smelling day!


freckled laundry

3 comments:

  1. this is awesome! i really need to start making my own... we go through WAY too much detergent for our little budget!

    would love for you to link this post, and any others on home & faith, at Hearts&Homes link up on http://www.mercyINKblog.com

    have a blessed weekend!!!

    lauren @mercyINK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie I made this today and can't wait to try it! I sure hope I like it cause I doubled it and now have about 14 cups of it! :o) I have made my own in the past but it was the liquid kind, which I have really loved, but wanted to try the dry since it seems so much easier. I figured the cost and it comes to only about 5 cents a load! Awesome! Thanks for posting, Jerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear how u like it. I also use vinegar as a fabric softener as well!

    ReplyDelete