About Me

My photo
Saint Joseph, MO, United States
I'm a stay at home Mom of two children and I have the unique privilege of being able to homeschool both of them. I am a stepmother to two older daughters one who is going to college. I enjoy shopping, baking, cooking, cleaning, organizing, running, clowning, making soap, playing piano and lately painting with ASCP paint! I am learning to enjoy the little things in life and make the most of it...clinging to my Savior through the tears that life brings and enjoying his GRACE He gives us every day! Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

No Bake Spiced Dough Ornaments

This Christmas I tried to do things differently and so far it has been accomplished.  In life there will never be a time that we as Mother's say "I did it ALL right this season." I will say..."I have done it BETTER."

My goal was to decorate the house less and spend more time doing crafts, baking, relaxing and enjoying the holiday instead of making it this AMAZING thing for OTHERS.  Yes, I still have homemade soaps to give away and goodies, my house is still decorated but with only ONE HUGE tree instead of five:)

My E is completely healed from her tonsil surgery so we are able to go back to our activities this week...it was so great to see her dancing again:) Yesterday...we decided to make some ornaments and I canNOT tell you how AWESOME they smell!

The first thing I did was purchase this book which is wonderful and gives ALL kinds of craft ideas that go along with the season.  We went through and picked out the ones we wanted to do.  My E can't wait to do the candles:) Will post that one later this week!




Then...we started in!



We used cookie cutters from my childhood and my hubbies childhood.  Ellie had a blast!

Here is the recipe!

1 cup ground cinnamon (I buy spices in bulk at Sam's)
1 tablespoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
1 cup applesauce
2 tablespoon white craft glue
Food coloring (optional) we didn't use any
A few tablespoons of all purpose flour

Directions:
1.  Combine the cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg in a mixing bowl.
2.  Add the applesauce and glue.
3.  Have your child help you work in all the ingredients with your hands until ingredients are mixed thoroughly. (My E and I used a wooden spoon to mix and it worked fine:)
4.  If desired, divide into portions and mix a few drops of food coloring into each
5.  Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to approximately 1/4 inch thickness.
6. Cut dough with cookie cutters into various shapes.
7. Bore a hole in the top of each ornament (we used a straw)
8. Lay the ornaments out flat to dry at room temperature for 3 to 5 days...(this wasn't an option for us as we are NOT that patient.) So, put in oven at 200 degrees for one hour:)
9.  When they are completely dry, thread short length of ribbon or string through the hole in each ornament:)

ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. We used this book with our girls were little and have fond memories of the activities and verses contained within. Looks like the memory making continues!

    ReplyDelete