About Me

My photo
Saint Joseph, MO, United States
I'm a stay at home Mom of two children and I have the unique privilege of being able to homeschool both of them. I am a stepmother to two older daughters one who is going to college. I enjoy shopping, baking, cooking, cleaning, organizing, running, clowning, making soap, playing piano and lately painting with ASCP paint! I am learning to enjoy the little things in life and make the most of it...clinging to my Savior through the tears that life brings and enjoying his GRACE He gives us every day! Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Time to CAN!!!

I enjoy this time of year....it would be more fun without the heat...but it wouldn't be MO would it???

This week I have put away green beans and salsa and pickles even! Now just so you know...I have only ever put away apple butter and strawberry freezer jam.  I needed help...but my Mommy moved close to me...so I was able to have help with the green beans and the pickles:)

This was the first time ever making salsa.  A customer and friend of ours had LOADS of tomatoes and she was gracious enough to share with us...so I put away about 21 jars of salsa and today even made peach salsa:)  I started off kinda cheating and using a mix from the store...then I got on pinterest and found some recipes that I liked....and my hubby loves as well:)


I went to the orchard and got jalapenos, green peppers, onion and cilantro....and then went to town on making salsa...tasting as I went...changing it out as I went.

The pickles were done with my mom's help...she gave me the following ingredients:

Apple Cider vinegar 1 quart, 3 quarts of water, 3/4 cup of salt, in jar put two heads of dill weed, one dried red pepper, fill with sliced cucumbers, heat to boiling the salt, water and vinegar and add to cucumbers in jar, put two cloves of garlic on top...listen for the gorgeous sound of the "pop" of the seal:)

The green beans were snapped by yours truly and then Mom put water in the jar and put in her pressure cooker...of which I am a great big scaredy cat of....other than that...that's all!

Now, I would like to put away more tomatoes for lasagnas and stews etc this winter but I am super happy about all the salsa...because we love it...and its also just a perfect little gift to go in gift baskets for Christmas:)

Happy CANNING:)





No comments:

Post a Comment